Tuesday 11 November 2008

2008 November 10

I think the fact I wrote 10,000 words on the final day last year is contributing to my complete lack of concern over my lack of progress most days. Hopefully this coming weekend isn't completely games and I end up writing for a while each day I'm away.

Words today: 676
Total for the month so far: 10,237


Unsurprisingly that was the intended use for the objects and I was commended for working it out as quickly as I had. That pleased me until I realised I hadn't mentioned anything about how quick I'd made the decision to use them as I did. I wondered momentarily if it was simply an indication there had been thoughts that I wouldn't figure it out at all before deciding to ask how long I had been watched for. The entire factory was apparently rigged with cameras, usually three to an office with the hallways having at least one at each end. My lack of questioning on that issue was something that I then realised was foolish, especially when I was working in an area that relied so much on secrecy.

After a short time more in the debrief I was told I should go home and Kevin walked out. I picked up the few things I had brought with me, pushed the board and box of marbles to the side of the room and made my way out of the factory. The walk home in the evening was something I hadn't experienced for quite a while, since being effectively locked out on all but the Friday nights for gaming I hadn't left on my own. Looking up at the stars I started to wonder whether what we were doing was going to be helping mankind's exploration of space. I figured there was probably only poor odds that we'd (not meaning to count myself particularly important in that consideration) manage to revolutionise things. After all there were very few serious people that disbelieved the relativistic limits placed upon things by the Einsteinian theories that had been in place for most of the past century and all of this one.

I wasn't going to have enough time upon arriving home again to do anything important so I simply booted up my computer and spent some time reading through the few sites that I tried to keep up on normally. Just before I finished up to go to bed I came across a link I instantly recognised as having been a favourite many years before. I hadn't given any though to the books since reading the last one but I instantly bookmarked the link so I could go back when I had enough time to actually investigate it properly.


I had another few weeks after that where I only had a couple of evenings where I was required to go in, basically it was just to read a little new research data and have a chat with Kevin to see how my understanding was coming along. I was surprised to find that things were beginning to make sense between the equations instead of just within them. Either there was something in the water or I'd got smarter since school, more likely the second but when I had no idea what was going on in over 90% of the factory I wasn't willing to bet on it.

The book site I'd found after the first night of extra work ended up occupying a lot of my free time for the first couple of weeks after I refound it. The books dealt with theories of alternate realities and how many ways things could be communicated between them, whether it simply be information or actual physical objects. While I'd been informed that the research was intended to facilitate advanced space travel I realised after reading up on the books that another possibility for Einstein/Rosen bridges was going to be travel between alternate realities, if such things existed. There had been one TV show late in the previous century that I'd seen random episodes from, people traveling from what was supposedly "our" earth to others that were similar but different in some small or large way. If that was what would happen with the research being done in the factory I was thinking we'd be better off destroying all the notes and equipment. Things had never seemed to be going very well there.

No comments: