Saturday 22 November 2008

2008 November 21

I wrote a little more than this (64 words more) but it was in the minutes before I gave up for the evening due to falling asleep and I can't really make sense of it so I'm going to get rid of it.
The required word count has now reached the point of twice what it initially was.


Words today:686
Total for the month so far: 19047


As such the two of us came last although it was nowhere near as far behind as we had been in the previous games we'd played in together. I took that as a good sign we were both realising the middle ground between helping each other too much and going out of our way to ensure our opponents didn't think we were helping the other. The walk home after we helped clean up the last of the game stuff was much like the walk to games had been, holding hands and not really talking.

Once we got home however she sat me down and told me we needed to talk. Having never heard her use that particular tone I began to worry a little about what was coming, the initial thought was that she was going to be looking for somewhere else to live because things weren't working out for her at my place. Oddly enough that was sort of what the issue was, "my place" was how I kept referring to the house and it was making her feel a little unwelcome.

At no point before then had I given the issue any real consideration, Veronika had been entirely welcome in my home even before we dated but I suddenly saw it from her perspective from that point and realised I had inadvertently been making her feel like I saw her as a guest instead of a partner. I didn't know how to fix things though so after apologising for the way I'd been making her feel I asked what I could do to make the situation better for he. She was not much more aware of possibilities than I was, but she did want to feel like more of the house was hers as well. I expect I had quite a puzzled look on my face at that point, she specified that she wanted some new furniture and to have some of her kitchen stuff in use. The simple things that would make the place less about my stuff and more hers, as well as ours where that was a possibility.

I had no plans for the Sunday of our weekend, apart from the new development at work I'd have Saturday free instead, so I asked if she wanted to go look at furniture then. She agreed to go look with me, no decision was going to be made about buying anything that soon apparently but I seemed to have decided wisely when I asked the question. As we had decided on a course of action Veronika got up and headed to the kitchen to fetch a snack, I took the opportunity to deal with a few things I'd been expecting to deal with immediately upon returning home.

For the hour or so remaining before we went to bed the two of us crammed onto the comfy chair and read a book each. I doubt that a couple of years earlier anyone could have convinced me that being that entwined with someone would be comfortable for the time it took me to read the amuont of my book I got read. After being in a relationship with Veronika for as long as I had at that point I figured I'd always be able to find a comfortable spot to read with her.


In the morning I was very grateful for the tendencies of the researchers to sleep late, I really wouldn't have wanted to go into the offices on my day off if it had been normal hours. Luckily for me those with some control over their time were mostly night people and not likely to be at work any earlier than 10am.
That had led Kevin to specify a later time for me than the others that would be showing up, I wasn't expected to be of much, if any, use in the setup and checking of everything so they didn't feel any need for me to be there as early. Wanting to know what actually went into everything to perform the experiment I made sure to watch as much as I could.

No comments: