Thursday 13 November 2008

2008 November 12

This is going up earlier than I've been posting other entries because I'm going to be heading to Hanmer Springs for the weekend and won't have internet access an hour from now. I will also not be posting any more entries until some point on Sunday night I think.
I think the story is getting to where I initially thought it would, I'll have to wait and find out though. And you'll possibly never know where I intended it to go.


Words today: 617
Total for the month so far: 11900


It took only a couple of days for me to arrange all the things Veronika had told me I would need and it was when I had packed it all that I began to realise how different this coming week would be. It had been a very long time since I was unable to go buy/borrow something I realised I needed when I needed it and the idea of carrying everything I was going to be able to use was seriously off-putting.

The anticipation of spending time away from all the modern amenities I was used to surprised me as well. I begun to wonder if there was any likelihood of me returning and finding that all (or at least a lot of) my stuff was of no interest to me any more. After all, if I did come wanting less stuff I'd be able to sell a lot of it and either move to a smaller (cheaper) place or get flatmates in without feeling crowded. Of course there was another possibility, that I'd come back having missed the stuff so much I wanted more of it. I felt confident that wouldn't happen though, I'd never had any 'need' to get back to any of it when I'd been away from home for an extended period of time previously.

Two nights before the week off I was scheduled for I got called into the factory for the demonstration Kevin had promised me. I couldn't eat that evening between getting home and leaving again. I didn't remember a thing of what I'd done while waiting to leave either. The walk back to work passed in a blur and the wait outside for the first of the researchers to show up was interminable. It did allow me time to calm myself down a little though, enough to form coherent sentences when Kevin asked me questions, not enough to remember any thing significant from what I was told.

Getting into the lab that the tests were taking place in took almost as much time as the walk from the external doors had. I had to be scanned (for cameras I think I was told) and my handprint needed to be added to the database. The doorway was actually an entrance into a room only just large enough for an individual with another door on the other side that wouldn't open until the first was shut. The size of that room seemed to have no purpose other than making quick entry/egress hard and it had also probably had the side effect of limiting the size of the researchers involved in the hands on side of the project.

Walking into the actual lab I was underwhelmed, I saw nothing to set this lab apart from the others I had seen elsewhere in the factory. Turning around to question Kevin I saw him raise his hand and glance over my shoulder. Turning around I noticed something I hadn't seen the first time I looked that way, there seemed to be a faint green light in the middle of the room. Of course I started looking around to see the point sources for the light, but I couldn't see any.

How I'd missed the vibrations start up was confusing as well but I was informed that I was standing on the best quality vibration proof mat the researchers had been able to find. While that was being explained my eyes drifted back to the point of light in the middle of the room. It had grown in the few seconds I was looking around the room and was now obviously there instead of seeming to be a trick of the light.

No comments: